Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Left handed people are in their Right Minds

I had a conference with Anna Banana's teacher today.  After 9 weeks in first grade she is well above her grade level in math, reading, spelling, and language!  I am so proud of her!  However we have one area which needs alotta work!  You see I have one of those left handed kids.  Lefty since birth.  As a baby I would place a spoon in her right hand and at 6 months old she would switch it to the left hand, I'd switch it back to the right, then she'd switch back to the left.  This went on for a year.  Then same thing happened when she began coloring.  She'd pick up a color with her left hand, I'd switch it to the right hand, she'd switch back to the left, I'd switch it, she'd switch it back.  And so it went.  I thought I could train her to be right handed, but she is a true lefty.  Which leads to our area of weakness:  those darn fine motor skills.  She has horrible handwriting and she has difficulty with letter placement and spacing when writing sentences.  Her teacher encouraged me to find ways to exercise those little fingers and improve that hand eye coordination.  So today I taught her how to do embroidery.  I picked up a little iron on pattern that I thought she would enjoy and now 2 hours later she is still going.  She loves it!
(will post the finished work soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment